#theFormDiv { display:none; position:absolute; top:4em; left:4em; background-color:#EEE; border:1px solid #000; padding:1em; margin:3em; width:20em; } .nocss { display:none; }

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Event Spotlight- AVP

So the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball tour rolled into Boulder last weekend. It was a really cool weekend which kicked off Thursday with a sand court set up right in front of the courthouse. The court was awesome beacuse it was a regulation size and a few AVP players came down to play an exhibition match. I had to dodge a few mis-hits which rolled down Pearl Street, but it was a sight. Later in the evening, Sinjin Smith was there holding a clinic for kids and adults. It was neat to see such a famous player just hanging out and showing some skills.

I headed up to the reservoir on Saturday to see some of the tournament. I first tried to find my friend Amber who played college volleyball with me and who is part of the tour. Unfortunately, she lost so I completely missed her match! I caught the tail end of the quarter final match between Boulder favs Elaine Youngs and former Buff Rachel Wacholder. These two used to be teammates. The crowd was really into this match which made it really fun. Wacholder and her partner won the game just before the rain came. I also saw US National team member and Olympian Reid Priddy play. I love watching indoor players who transition to play outdoors. Envy of their incredible verticals I guess.

Though I missed Sunday due to my husband (I am blaming it on him), I heard it was great and the weather was really nice ( no rain like Saturday). US Olympic darlings Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh won the Women's event while the team of Metzger/ Lambert won the Men's.

So all in all , Boulder hosted another successful AVP tour stop. I cannot wait to see how they top the sand court on the mall next year.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Downtown Boulder @ Tuesday, August 29, 2006   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home