#theFormDiv { display:none; position:absolute; top:4em; left:4em; background-color:#EEE; border:1px solid #000; padding:1em; margin:3em; width:20em; } .nocss { display:none; }

Monday, April 26, 2010

Being Green IS Easy!


When I was seven, my grandma took me to see FernGully. I have never felt so wrought with guilt as I did leaving that theater. The grievous costs of society's over-consumption literally ate me up inside, so I refused to go home until my grandma bought me a little plant of my own.

Luckily, here in Boulder I don't have to worry about mitigating unnecessary ozone and rain forest depletion. We have enough trees and vegetation to be named a "Tree City USA" for the 26th year by the National Arbor Day Foundation. (As if we didn't already hold enough titles--seriously, Boulder is like one of those girls-next-door that decides to enter a pageant just for fun and sweeps all the awards.) This is an awesome recognition and so easy to come by. If you're interested in spreading the (tree) love, The Center for ReSource Conservation has a great deal on Colorado-specific trees through their Trees Across Boulder plan. Or, Downtown Boulder, Inc. is offering free petunias to businesses in the Business Improvement District as a way to beautify!

If your kids also suffer from FernGully trauma, bring them down to Pearl Street Mall this Friday to celebrate the tulips and the coming of summer with the Tulip Fairy at the Tulip Fairy and Elf Parade. Children are encouraged to dress up as miniature fairies and elves and parade around the bricks. Following the parade is the annual Colorado Children's Day Festival with activities galore for your little ones to enjoy.

Support Downtown's effort to be green and thriving; plant a tree, plant some tulips, or come downtown with your children to instill environmental awareness at an early age!

--Stacy

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Anonymous @ Monday, April 26, 2010   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home